National Pie Day Recipe
To celebrate National Pie Day and our Men's Pie Club (MPC) collaboration brew we caught up with the man behind the club, Jamie Sadler, to bring you the perfect accompaniment to our Black and White Pepper Bitter 'Let's eat pies and talk about men's mental health'.
MPC Chicken and Fennel Pie
Shortcrust Pastry Recipe - Makes 1 deep filled pie (in piemaker)
- 30g cold salted butter
- 60g plain flour
- Approx. 2 tbsp whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Stir the flour & salt together in a mixing bowl
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes
- Combine the flour, salt and butter in the same bowl
- Mix the butter and flour with your fingertips to produce coarse breadcrumbs (this may take 5 mins or so)
- Gradually add the milk, stir with mixing knife until dough comes together (take care not to add too much liquid but you do want a nice pliable dough)
- Using your hands, form a ball, cover with cling film then chill in the fridge
- When cooled take the dough out of the fridge
- Roll to a consistent 3mm thickness
- Using the large pastry cutter supplied with the pie maker, use the large circle to cut out the base and use the smaller circle to cut out the pastry lid
- Place base in piemaker, fill with chosen filling, apply lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off piemaker, take out pie with care
Chicken and Fennel Recipe - Makes 1 deep filled pie
- 100g chicken thigh, cut into bite-size chunks
- ½ small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ carrot, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp soured cream (or normal cream will do)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 level tsp plain flour
- ½ tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sunflower or olive oil
- Heat a little oil in your pan, add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes until lightly browned, then remove the chicken & set aside.
- Using the same pan, add a little more oil if needed, then add the fennel, carrots, garlic & ground fennel, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan then sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute or so.
- Add the stock, milk and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season and add the parsley.
- Spoon mixture into the pastry case, top with the lid, brush with a little beaten egg and cook in the oven for approximately 20 - 25 minutes at 180C until golden brown.
Together with McColl's Brewery we hope to raise £2500 with £1 from every can of beer donated to MPC.
"We’re so chuffed to be working with Danny and Gemma on this, it really is a great opportunity to raise funds, the profile of Men's Pie Club and our efforts to tackle issues associated with social isolation. We’re also very proud to be collaborating with McColl’s to make this happen, they completely understand what we are trying to achieve – and they make incredible beer!" - Jamie Sadler